Monday 24 February 2014

Rocca - Dulwich Village

My Sister and (probably soon to be) brother-in-law, live in Dulwich. They like it, I like it. Yay. But it is bollock-shrivingly expensive to live there. Boo.

We visited them recently with the Child plus further young family member in tow, and we were treated to a proper lovely dinner at Rocca. When they heard that we would have two young-uns, apparently the in-laws agreed on only one choice to offer us and so it was that we set off to visit the Dulwich branch of this hot ticket Italian restaurant.




It's true that I'm a proper sucker for simple done simply and Rocca followed that principle excellently. In fact, we were having so much fun that I didn't manage to take any photos past my own plate but there is a run down of the menu that we made ourselves fat on:


sharing platter (for two) a selection of cured meats and cheese, served with pizza bread (we increased this to four plus small people)
pescatore fresh clams, wild mussels, a touch of chilli (mine)
risotto cuttlefish, white cornish crab butter

tortelloni ricotta & sun-dried tomato filling (Mrs P's)
margherita mozzarella, tomato, basil 

The atmosphere was loud, boisterous and totally family orientated. When we visited, there were plenty of other children at tables throughout the plain but solid interior. The open kitchen and the pizza oven looking out over the front door treating you as you come in. As we waited for our table, I was very pleased to see the mahoosive chunks of parmesan lying in wait to be generously applied when requested; the signs were all there, I started to get excited. 

The pescatore was simply too good to miss, I mean look at it:




The clams were huge, plump and juicy. The pasta, freshly made and cooked with bite, the Child took one look and started to tuck in and I had to take drastic measures to save anything at all! The views around the table all remarked in the same way - although without all the juicy clams.

The puds were just as good, although I decided to forgo pudding and I asked the waiter my killer question: Where is your Lemoncello kept? So many restaurants have fallen at this hurdle, 'the fridge', is the most common answer, or most crushingly; 'behind the bar'. Both of these negate any desire I may have to try the sweet, lemon nector. But not at Rocca. At Rocca, not only did I hear the joyous, heaven sent response: 'in the freezer, of course', but also because they knew the importance of that question, the Lemoncello was supplied copiously and for gratis. Yet another reason to love this place, as if I needed more.

http://www.roccarestaurants.com/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment