Monday 2 September 2013

Bank - Birmingham

I try to avoid Birmingham as much as possible, while there is nothing inherently wrong with the people or the place itself, we usually tend to keep a mutual and respectful distance from each other. It's best that way.

On occasion, however, our paths cross and so it was that I found myself having left the Sealife centre with Mrs P. and the Child looking for lunch. My heart sank. Would I have to settle for a limp 'Pret-a-Manger', or perhaps I would be forced into a dirty burger? Thankfully no, after a cursive reposte or two, Mrs P. agreed to try Bank instead.

Standing opposit the Sealife centre, it was a large place, on the ground floor of a bigger building. Mostly white, minimalist walls and decor allowed the tosseratti of Birmingham to show off their fake tan at it's most violent and we certainly got some side-long glances as Mrs P. and I confidently led the Child to a table on the veranda. Usually, we have no issues with the Child and so it was here, despite the obvious distrust and expectation that we would have a wobbler at some point during the meal (clearly a regular occurance for the children who usually frequent the establishment). We disapointed all those watching as the Child ate her meal with her usual decorum, pausing only to point out that her crab cake was a touch dry. That's my girl.






The offending cake, it looked pretty but didn't have much punch to it. With the coconut, I would have liked a more powerful flavour combo.


Mrs P.'s steak 'n' frites. Plain but tasty - the gloupy sauce was pushed uncerimoniously to one side, but I thought it wasn't too bad.


My mackerel with tomato. Tasty without a hint of chalky, personally I wouldn't have put the tomato in the frame and I probably still have my reservations but to be fair it was quite refreshing.

At a shade over £100 for four (one child) with drinks, it was quite pricey in central Birmingham. But we liked Bank and if necessary, we would enjoy going back. If necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment