Sunday 10 February 2013

Penderyn - Welsh Whisky



What? Welsh Whisky? Isn't that some kind of euphemism? If that was your first reaction upon reading the above title then rest assured you are not alone. I, too, was a little non-plussed when I opened my latest birthday present from my collective family. However, the sister-in-law who actually gave me the bottle is quite a devote of the culinary herself and was rather excited but not a little disappointed to be giving it to me, so my intrigue was certainly piqued. 

As with many other things in life, I cannot pretend to be a whisky connoisseur. I have however, developed a taste for it and I have learnt enough to understand the following general rule of thumb:

age = expensive = nice

A simplistic view perhaps, and certainly one that I have fallen foul of over the recent years; it doesn't matter how expensive it is, I do not like Laphroaig. However, through all of the tasting, testing and all the other very serious issues related to drinking, I have discovered that my preferred style of whisky comes from the North East of Scotland. How odd then, that I be given a whisky from not just the opposite side of the great whisky producing landmass, but also not even from Scotland at all! Therefore it was with growing trepidation and curiosity that I cracked the seal to give this little beauty a go.

The tasting notes describe the whisky being aged in bourbon but finished in Maderia casks, 'to bring out its full golden character' (sic). It also professes to offer a 'classic freshness', 'aromas of cream toffee, rich fruit and raisins' alongside 'sweetness to balance an appetising dryness'. The finish has 'notes of tropical fruit, raisins and vanilla'. Apparently.

So, what did I discover when I drank this very nicely packaged gift of love? Actually, I was very pleasantly surprised. It tasted smooth without too much of a rough catch to the throat, and I certainly got the sweetness as described from the maderia barrels. For me, this isn't a very complicated whisky, all this rubbish about finding cream toffee or tropical fruit is just that. Personally, I got an almost grassy, medicinal nose and palette, followed by the raisins - OK, I'll give them that - and finishing with a warm vanilla.

I can see that this is an attempt to bring Welsh Whisky into the mainstream by making a whisky that is as drinkable as possible, and on behalf of those of us who prefer our whiskies mellow, warming and easy-going, I salute you. Great job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment